journal entry #4 2-24-07
Ok, well I got that RSS feed to work! So where I'm at right now is sort of a cross roads. My story is way to big, I'm married to it . I have decided to remove all of the dialogue for the moment to get a better understanding of where to take the story. I'm having problems with the transtion from the rodeo to the store front. It works fine in my head but on paper it sucks. It's simply to much animation to do in the time frame that I have to work with. Plus it sort of gets the viewer lost, I might have cody already on EL Toro laughing at Rowdy. Some of my goals for this week are
1: getting the story ironed out
2: character design cody, needs refining
3: backgrounds design start
4: midterm "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
For the rest I plan on starting some sculpting in a few days most likly after midterms, I want to send some pics to Marty at Dreamworks of the bull El Toro, I'm thinking of doing him in nurbs, yes I'm out of my F*#%ing mind. Thats it for right now, all the scripts, treatments etc.. are located on my nyu server, I found that it's easier to post them there, pdf wise anyway.
Have a great weekend
-Best Tom...
P.S. I found this great quote this week, goes for all of us in pre-vis & thesis
"Life is nothing more then an obstacal of illusions"
1: getting the story ironed out
2: character design cody, needs refining
3: backgrounds design start
4: midterm "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
For the rest I plan on starting some sculpting in a few days most likly after midterms, I want to send some pics to Marty at Dreamworks of the bull El Toro, I'm thinking of doing him in nurbs, yes I'm out of my F*#%ing mind. Thats it for right now, all the scripts, treatments etc.. are located on my nyu server, I found that it's easier to post them there, pdf wise anyway.
Have a great weekend
-Best Tom...
P.S. I found this great quote this week, goes for all of us in pre-vis & thesis
"Life is nothing more then an obstacal of illusions"

8 Comments:
I'm with you all the way. I feel your pain!
Hey, unrelated to this project, I have Beatles music in my bag ready to give to you. Hoo Haa!
Thomas
Have you read Ferdinand the Bull? Can't remember whether you said you had or not... It's a good resource for style I think.
Also, NURBs? Why?
Steve
Hey there!
Thanks for the advice about difficult banana peels. I think you really could have cody already on eltoro laughing at rowdy(sp). Wouldn't that save some time and still have the story come across, fine? I feel your pain too! Love the quote. Who is this at Dreamworks??? Can I meet them? Just kidding!
I have a very simple, animate-able solution from the transition from rodeo to reality. Have him get knocked out. He hits his head, everything goes black, shot through his eyes opening, the scenery looks different, but he's still sitting on the bull.
My only other comment is to consider whether or not NURBs would be a good thing to model, and animate. I guess checking with Marty would be a good thing though.
Love the sketches of Rowdy and Cody. You said you didn't feel that Cody was innocent enough. Maybe that can show through in his actions where his gun belt falls down or something like that. I love it.
Also, I definitely agree with John on his solution for the transition to the storefront. It's elegant and very do-able and this will allot you more time to do the modeling and animation.
THe Bugs Bunny cartoon with the bull fight should be invaluable to you, I would watch it to see how it solves some of the problems you've been facing. How did Bugs come to be fighting a bull? I actually don't remember, but whatever the reason was (even if it was no reason), it seemed to work.
Also, consider advice from Robert McKee: if the scene is not changing a character's values, it is unnecessary. You don't need any scenes to set up the characterization or the setting, since it's a scene that most people are relatively familiar with. Personally I would start with Cody and the bull, and get rid of everything before it, but that's just me.
I love your story especially the ending. I agree with John. You don't really need to set it up as much as you are, it dose not seem like you really need it.
Post a Comment
<< Home